Salkantay Trek and Inca Trail to Machu Picchu 7 Days
Salkantay trek and Inca trail is the best option for trekkers looking for authentic views, history and adventure; this tour combines the trek Salkantay and the regular Inca Trail to Machu Picchu; along the trail you´ll pass several small communities where people live shepherding their llamas and alpacas, you also will observe the traditional farming lands; you will trek in a comfortable tour and with experienced Guide.
Highlights of the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu:
- Discovery and exploration of the beautiful landspaces of the trek
- 7 day trek of Salkantay with experienced local tour guide, Cook, Horseman and horses
- Explorer the Umantany Lake
- View the Enigmatic Salkantay Mountain
- Discover the Umantay Glaciars,
- Guided tour of the Incan site of Llactapata
- Walk to Inti Punku (the Sun Gate)
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu
Overview Salkantay Trek and Inca Trail
- Walking Distance: 40 miles / 64 Km
- Departure Point: Cusco - We pick you up from your hotel.
- Departure Time: 05:30
- Briefing Point: Our guide will visit your hotel 2 or 1 day before the trek
- Briefing Time: Between 17:00 - 18:00
- Return Point: Our driver will drop-off in your hotel or Airbnb department
- Return Time: From Aguas Calientes to Cusco - 14:30 (IncaRail) or 18:30 (Perurail)
- Best Alternative hike: If you would like to do the Salkantay + Inca Trail, we can recommend to do 5 day hike to Salkantay to Inca Trail. Our departure is 100% guaranteed.
- Service Level: Superior service all personal equipment included, extra horses for your equipment and private transport.
- Physical Rating: 3 - Demanding - Some high-altitude hikes or more strenuous activities, but accessible to most healthy travellers
- Age requirement: 12+ / All travellers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Crew: A professional Tour Guide, Cook and Horseman during the trek.
- Meals: 4x breakfast, 4x lunch, 4x dinner, 3x afternoon tea
- Transportation: A private transportation, a return train EXPEDITION (18:20 or 14:30)
- Accommodation: 3x campsite (Camping equipment), 1x Hotel (These following hotels are used to accommodate you during your Salkantay Trek Tour: Seven House Machu Picchu or Sol de los Andes. Once booked, our booking department will confirm your accommodation. If you would like to upgrade your hotel, visit our website ESSENTIAL INFO.
- Why to book salkantay trek in advance?: This trek has departures 100% guaranteed, but train tickets and entrance to Huayna Picchuor Machu Picchu mountain are subjet to availability. For that reason, Mundo Mapi Adventure Travel recommend book in advance, in the High trekkers season, it is very difficult find spaces available the train ticket and entrance to the lost city!
Day 1: Cusco – Mollepata – Cruzpata - Salkantaypampa.
Salkantay trek and Inca trail begins when we pick you up from your hotel at 6:00am and transfer you to Mollepata town, here we stop for 30 minutes to have breakfast and purchase some items for the trek; from Mollepata we continue one hour more by car until Cruzpata (3,200m - the starting point of the trek) here we will encounter our "arrieros" horsemen and trekking staff. We initiate our Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu carrying small bag because the heavy ones will be taken by the horses. At Cruzpata we can see spectacular views of the chains of snowcapped mountains of Vilcabamba and the lush Apurimac River valley, then a gentle climb for about 4 hours to Soraypampa (3800 m) our spot for a rest and lunch. After lunch we continue climbing gradually for 2:30 hours through the more unspoiled Andean valleys to Salkantaypampa (3900 meters) our campsite for our first night.
Day 2: Salkantaypampa - Inca Chiriasqha pass - Sisaypampa.
A wonderful morning because the imposing views of the Salkantay mountain (6,271m) close to the camp; the trek will start at 7:00 am with a gentle climbing to Pampa-Japonesa (Japanese Climbers Base-camp) and them we continue up toward the Inca Chiriasqha pass (5,200m) the highest of the trek. This pass is a wonderful spot for sightseeing because it is surrounded by majestic snow-peaks such as: Humantay (5,217m), Tucarhuay (5,450m) and Chullunku (5,428m); all of this mountains still plays very important role in the mentality of the inhabitants of the zone; they believe that in each mountain is living one spiritual person named APU. After the pass we will trek down for 30 minutes where we have a stop for lunch, afterward we will descend until Sisaypampa Camp (3,800m).
Day 3: Sisaypampa - Paucarcancha
After breakfast we continue the Salkantay trek descending through a beautiful valley with native flowers and impressive views of a typical Andean valley where we can see llamas and alpacas; after 3 hour of trekking we will arrive to Pampaccahuana community near the Incan canals repaired few years ago by the archeologist Ann Kendall Project to help local farmers of the zone, here we will stop for rest break and enjoy our lunch; then we continue the final 3 hours approximately to Paucarcancha an old Inca ruins where we will stop to explore and explanations; here also will be our camp site.
Day 4: Paucarcancha - Wayllabamba - Llulluchapampa.
Continuing the Salkantay trek & Inca rail; today we will connect to the famous Inca trail to Machu Picchu. After breakfast one hour walk down to Wayllabamba community (3000m); this is also the place from where our muleteers return home with their mules and fresh porters will join us to continue the trek carrying our gear, camping equipment and food, we start our gentle climbing for 2 hours to Ayapata where the lunch will be served; after that we continue up through enchanted native polylepis woodland until we arrive to Llulluchapampa camp.
Day 5: Llulluchapampa - Pakaymayu – Ch'akiccocha.
After breakfast we will start ascent through numerous Inca steps towards the warmihuañusca pass (Dead Woman's Pass) 4,200m. From here we will have amazing view of the impressive Inca Trail and spectacular mountains around. We then descend to Pakaymayu valley where we will have lunch. After a rest, we climb again to visit the archaeological site of 'Runkuraqhay' (round shape balcony) and then continuing to Runkuraqhay pass 4,000m. From where in a clear day you can see on you bag dead woman's pass and in frond the Pumasillu snow mountain range. From the pass we continue descent through Inca steps to the Inca site of 'Sayacmarka' (inaccessible town) which also was discovered by Mr. Hiram Bingam at 1915. We will have a short rest here before continuing towards Ch'akiccocha camp.
Day 6: Ch'akiccocha– Phuyupatamarka – Wiñaywayna
Today will be an excellent day because we will trek through the cloud forest and on the original Incan trail which is paved with white granite stone. We will visit Phuyupatamarka ruins and observe many flowers and a great variety of birds, especially Hummingbirds. Also, we'll have a splendid view of the snowcapped mountains of the Pumasillu mountain Range. Lunch will be served at the campsite; In the afternoon we will visit the Inca ruins of Wiñayhuayna (Forever young) often considered the most beautiful Inca temple.
Day 7: Wiñaywayna - Machu Picchu – Cusco.
Our reward at the end of our epic 7-day Salkantay trek to Machu Picchu is the amazing panorama as we arrive to the great Inca citadel of Machu Picchu. We will enjoy a 2 hours guided tour of Machu Picchu and then you will have extra time to explore by yourself; at midday approximately we will take the bus down to the town of Aguas Calientes where we can enjoy the lunch and in the afternoon we will catch the train back to Cusco and you will be transferred to your Hotel.
For availability of spaces for this service, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org and we`ll send you detailed information, prices, terms and conditions.