Classic Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days
This path is well-known as the Salkantay Trek. After the Inca Trail, the Salkantay Trek is the most beautiful and popular one. Indeed, the magazine National Geographic Adventure rated the Salkantay Trek as one of the best 25 treks all over the world.
Highlights of the Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu:
- Discovery and exploration of the beautiful landspaces of the trek
- 5 day trek of Salkantay with experienced local tour guide, Cook, Horseman and horses
- Explorer the Umantany Lake
- View the Enigmatic Salkantay Mountain
- Discover the Umantay Glaciars,
- Guided tour of the Incan site of Llactapata
- Walk to Inti Punku (the Sun Gate)
- Guided tour of Machu Picchu
Overview Salkantay Trek
- Walking Distance: 40 miles / 64 Km
- Departure Point: Cusco - We pick you up from your hotel.
- Departure Time: 05:30
- Briefing Point: Our guide will visit your hotel 2 or 1 day before the trek
- Briefing Time: Between 17:00 - 18:00
- Return Point: Our driver will drop-off in your hotel or Airbnb department
- Return Time: From Aguas Calientes to Cusco - 14:30 (IncaRail) or 18:30 (Perurail)
- Best Alternative hike: If you would like to do the Salkantay + Inca Trail, we can recommend to do 5 day hike to Salkantay to Inca Trail. Our departure is 100% guaranteed.
- Service Level: Superior service all personal equipment included, extra horses for your equipment and private transport.
- Physical Rating: 3 - Demanding - Some high-altitude hikes or more strenuous activities, but accessible to most healthy travellers
- Age requirement: 12+ / All travellers under age 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Crew: A professional Tour Guide, Cook and Horseman during the trek.
- Meals: 4x breakfast, 4x lunch, 4x dinner, 3x afternoon tea
- Transportation: A private transportation, a return train EXPEDITION (18:20 or 14:30)
- Accommodation: 3x campsite (Camping equipment), 1x Hotel (These following hotels are used to accommodate you during your Salkantay Trek Tour: Seven House Machu Picchu or Sol de los Andes. Once booked, our booking department will confirm your accommodation. If you would like to upgrade your hotel, visit our website ESSENTIAL INFO.
- Why to book salkantay trek in advance?: This trek has departures 100% guaranteed, but train tickets and entrance to Huayna Picchuor Machu Picchu mountain are subjet to availability. For that reason, Mundo Mapi Adventure Travel recommend book in advance, in the High trekkers season, it is very difficult find spaces available the train ticket and entrance to the lost city!
Day 01: Cusco - Mollepata - Challacancha -Soraypampa
At 4:30 am we pick you up from your hotel, and we start our travel to Mollepata by tourist bus, an Andean village where a nice and hot local breakfast is waiting for us. At 9:00 am we begin our journey, a hike up to Tres Cruces, with a spectacular lunch over the Limatambo Valley.
We continue our trek to Markokasa enjoying the beautiful landscape along the way and our first vision of the Salkantay Mountain. And at about 4:30 pm we arrive in Soraypampa (3,850m or 12,600ft), our first campsite and the highest and coldest of the trip.
Meals : Lunch-Dinner.
Day 02: Soraypampa - Salkantay Mountain - Collpapampa
We have a hot breakfast at around 5:30 am and begin our walk to the highest pass on this trek (4650m/15200ft) located halfway in between two huge mountains: Salkantay (6271m/20575ft) on the right and Humantay (4120m/13500ft) on the left. From the pass, the views of the two snow-capped mountains are incredible even though there is a possibility of snow here. We have a small and a short ceremony known as Payment to Mother Earth or Pachamama (Jaywarikuy), in which we leave some coca leaves within the rocks requesting the permit to pursue our fabulous and memorable trip.
We continue our walk downhill through a dramatic cloud forest until we arrive to Huayracpunku where we have lunch. We go back hiking after lunch in the direction of the jungle towards Challhuay pampa following the course of the river Salkantay until we reach our second campsite, Colcapampa (3000m/9800ft), circled with astonishing Andean scenery.
Meals: Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner.
Day 03: Collpapampa - La Playa
After our breakfast at 6:30 am we pass through several valleys crossing the Lluskamayo River and a variety of little brooks, appreciating some wonderful views of waterfalls, tropical fruits, colorful birds and various native plants.
The path is less demanding with a usually warm climate, which cannot hurt. We have lunch on the way to later enjoy more of the vibrant valleys and finally arrive in Santa Teresa, our campsite.
After resting for a while and a few snacks to help recovering our strength, we have the option to go to the hot springs and try the well-deserved soothing water, a real treat after having walked the whole day.
Meals: Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner.
Day 04: La Playa - Llactapata - Hidroelectrica - Aguas Calientes
We have our breakfast and continue for 3 hours approximately to reach Hidroelectrica. The trail cuts into the old coffee plantation of Mandorpampa and enters the cloud forest, following the sacred river for a further one and a half hours until the waterfalls from Hidroelectrica. These falls are about twelve meters high and are fed by the crystal clear melt waters of the sacred Mount Yanantin.
From the falls the trail continues up to the ridge, before becoming lost in the increasingly dense vegetation.
This is a dramatic, fertile landscape, with coffee, banana and avocado plantations carved from the forest, and pristine areas that are the natural habitat of mammals such as the spectacled bear and hundreds of species of birds and butterflies, some of them endemic to the region. This teeming forest is hung with bromeliads and many varieties of orchids, some of which have only recently been identified by biologists.
We finally arrive in Machupicchu village to overnight in our comfortable hotel.
Optional: you can give an early night visit to the Aguas Calientes' Hot Springs where the entrance fee is US $4.
Meals: Breakfast - Lunch - Dinner.
Day 05: Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu - Cusco
An early start to continue hiking to Machu Picchu and see the sunrise over this glorious old city! We walk for about 2 hours to the ruins of Machu Picchu and have a full guided tour that takes about 2 hours. After you have plenty of time to traverse the fortress on your own, and maybe climb Huayna Picchu (if you have a permit) or the Inca Bridge. Afterwards you can take the bus to Aguas Calientes. You can have lunch at Aguas Calientes (not included in the cost). In the afternoon, we return by train to Ollantaytambo and transfer to Cusco.
For availability of spaces for this service, please contact us email@example.com and we`ll send you detailed information, prices, terms and conditions.